A delicious reduced sugar muffin full of slow releasing carbohydrates, and seeds. Perfect as a healthy option for breakfast but equally delicious as healthy snack. Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used in this recipe. You can also substitute the blueberries for other berries if wished.
Makes 8 Muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Storage – Keep these in an airtight container for 2 days or refrigerate for longer.
You can also freeze these for up to 1 month.
What’s Good About It?
Slow releasing carbohydrates, low in sugar and packed with antioxidants these are the perfect grab and go breakfast option. Ideal as well for packed lunches.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with cases.
- Place the flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and muesli or oats in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs, oil, lemon juice and milk in a jug. Pour into the flour mixture and beat well to form a thick batter. Stir in the blueberries, gently.
- Spoon the mixture into greased muffin moulds. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and firm on top.
- Leave to cool in the tins before turning out and cooling on a rack.
Calories per muffin 191kcal, Total Fat 11g of which saturates 1.8g, Carbohydrates 17g of which sugars 9g, Protein 5g
Did You Know?
To stop the blueberries from sinking in the muffin add them at the last minute before baking and toss in a little flour before adding to the batter.
150g gluten free self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
1tbsp ground flaxseed
Pinch of sea salt
100g gluten free muesli or gluten free porridge oats
60g caster sugar, xylitol or coconut sugar
4tbsp olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon
1tbsp lemon juice
125ml milk or milk alternative
100g frozen or fresh blueberries