A fabulous vegan dish, lightly spiced and topped with a creamy tamarind dressing you can serve this hot or cold. Vary the vegetables according to the season. I used fresh asparagus but green beans would also be delicious.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Packed with protein and fibre thanks to the addition of lentils with probiotics from the yogurt this is a great gut healthy meal. Delicious hot or cold.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Par boil the new potatoes for 7-8 minutes then drain. Place in a baking tray and toss with 1tbsp olive oil. Scatter over the fennel and cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the dressing – simply whisk everything together in a small bowl and chill until required.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for a couple of minutes and drain.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the red onion and lentils and stir for a few minutes. Add the spinach and asparagus and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and add to the pan. Toss everything together and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon onto plates and drizzle over the dressing to serve. Top with a little pickled red onion if wished.
- Serve hot or cold.
Did You Know?
Swap the lentils for other canned pulses – butterbeans and chickpeas are good options.
700g new potatoes, halved
2tbsp olive oil
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp fennel seeds
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 can of Puy or green lentils, drained
2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed and halved
150g baby spinach leaves
To garnish : pickled red onions
200g Soy Greek Yogurt
2tsp Chaat Masala powder
Juice of 1 lemon
2tbsp tamarind paste
pinch of chilli powder