The Summer often brings with it a glut of fresh fruits. We grow plenty of berries so it can often be difficult keeping up with the supply. Fruit cobblers make a great change to crumbles and pies and are so comforting. This is delicious for an alfresco lunch or dinner but equally scrummy made with frozen fruit in the winter. This recipe works with a range of fruits – mixed berries, pitted cherries, bags of frozen fruit or even tins of peaches drained. Accompany with vegan ice cream or coconut yogurt.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes, 30 mins cooking time
What’s good about it?
Berries and cherries are packed with antioxidants and vitamin C for immune health. Being high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, they may help reduce chronic disease risk. Research indicates that the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of cherries may benefit those with arthritis and gout.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl with the cornflour and xylitol. Toss to coat thoroughly
- In a separate bowl place the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix well. Rub in the dairy free spread to form crumbs then stir in enough dairy free milk or coconut yogurt to form a soft dough.
- Place the fruit in a baking dish. Take spoonfuls of the dough and drop on top of the fruit.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Did You Know?
You could replace the dairy free spread with thick coconut yogurt. Try adding a dash of cinnamon to the flour when making the cobbler for additional flavour.
500g mixed berries or pitted cherries
125g gluten free self raising flour
60g Ground Almonds
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
60g dairy free spread / coconut oil
4 tbsp non-dairy milk or coconut yogurt