I love this traditional fruit loaf. This recipe is my healthier gluten free version which I pack with superberries and keep the sugar to a minimum. Traditionally this is actually a yeasted bread and this makes it easier to create a light loaf full of flavour without the need to add loads of sugar. You can make this egg free by using the flaxseed egg substitution.
Difficulty – Medium
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 1 hour 30 mins proving and 40-45 minutes cooking
Serves – Makes 1 x 2lb loaf / about 10 slices
What’s good about it?
A delicious fruit tea bread lower in sugar than many traditional versions and gluten free. Use a range of super fruits to provide plenty of flavour, texture, vitamins and minerals. Buckwheat flour adds a wonderful richness and plenty of fibre and antioxidants too.
- Place the dried fruit in a bowl and pour over the warm tea. Allow to soak if possible for at least 30 minutes or 1-2 hours.
- Place the flours in a large bowl. Rub in butter or dairy free spread to form breadcrumbs. Scatter over the yeast, salt, spices and mix well.
- Beat together the egg and maple syrup and add to the flour with the dried fruit and soaking liquid. Beat well with a spoon.
- Cover the bowl and allow the mixture to rise for 1 hour.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Spoon the dough into the loaf tin and cover with cling or a clean tea towel. Allow to rise again for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Remove the cling film and place the loaf tin in the oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Cover the top with foil and cook for a further 20-25 minutes until the bread it cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Delicious sliced and served warm or cold.
Did You Know?
If you have a bread maker you can use the gluten free programme to make this bread.
Makes 1 x 2lb loaf
300ml strong warm tea
200g dried mixed fruit – cranberries, goji berries, mulberries, raisins, cherries etc
300g Gluten free bread flour
150g Buckwheat flour
15g dried fast acting yeast
1/2 tsp sea salt
60g butter or dairy free spread
1 tsp mixed spice
1 egg (or sub flaxseed egg 1tbsp flaxseed with 3tbsp water)
2tbsp maple syrup