A simple gluten free pastry recipe. I have various versions for gluten free pastry but this is an easy version which makes use of ready prepared gluten free flour mix. If you want information on how to make your own gluten free flour blend read my blog. I use xanthum gum but you can use psyllium husks or apple pectin fibre as well. The trick for gluten free pastry is to make sure it is slightly on the moist side as if it is too dry it will crumble when you roll it.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 15 minutes preparation, 30 minutes chilling
What’s good about it?
You can make a few batches of this pastry and freeze them in cling film for 1 month. Adding the flaxseed and pysllium provides more fibre and helps to bind the pastry.
- Place the flour, salt, xanthum gum in a food processor and briefly process. You can do this in a bowl instead if wished.
- Add the butter and process to form breadcrumbs or rub in with your fingers.
- Add the beaten egg and mix well. Stir in sufficient water so that the mixture comes together to form a soft dough.
- Bring the dough together into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in cling film then chill for at least 30 minutes but ideally 1 hour.
- When you are ready to roll the pastry place the pastry between two sheets of cling film. Roll out to the required thickness. You can store this in the fridge until needed if wished
Did you Know?
You can make your own pastry blend either by using one of the mixtures in my blog. Instead of xanthum gum try using ground psyllium husks instead
360g gluten free flour blend e.g Doves Farm plain flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1tsp xanthum gum
175g salted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 egg beaten
3 tbsp cold water to blend