This artisan style bread is soft and moist and the perfect accompaniment to stews and soups. Instead of sun dried tomatoes you could use chopped olives or make a sweet bread with raisins or chocolate chips.
Makes 1 loaf / Serves 10
Preparation 15 minutes plus 1 hour proving time
Cooking time: 45 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Baked in the oven this is a wonderful moist artisan style bread. The addition of pysllium powder provides plenty of fibre and keeps the bread wonderfully moist.
- Place the water in a bowl and add the pysllium powder. Beat well and it will start to form a thick gel
- In a food processor add the remaining ingredients (except the tomatoes) and beat briefly. Add the psyllium liquid and continue to beat until it forms a stiff dough. It should be wet and sticky. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Turn it out on to a floured surface and briefly knead.
- Place into a lightly flour banneton proofing basket and cover with cling. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Have a piece of greaseproof paper ready a little larger than your basket. Tip the dough onto the paper. If wished score the top of the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 230C. Place your casserole dish (I used a Le Creuset dish) in the oven to heat up (about 10 minutes
- Carefully take it out the oven. Place the dough lifting the paper into the dish. Place the lid on top then into the oven.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes
- Cool in the dish for 10 minutes then lift on to a wire rack.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
- Cover and store in an air tight container. It can also be sliced and frozen for 1 month.
Did You Know?
If you do not have a banneton bowl simply place the dough in a lightly greased glass bowl and the follow the instructions as above. You can score the top of the bread before baking if wished.
18g pysllium powder
275g warm water
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
375g gluten free bread flour
2tbsp caster sugar
2 sachets instant dried yeast (14g)
2tsp apple cider vinegar
2tbsp olive oil
100g sun dried tomatoes, chopped