Light and packed with flavour these healthy muffins are super simple to make and ideal for a healthy sweet treat. Use fresh or frozen berries according to the season or what is available.
Makes 8-10 Muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
What’s Good About Them?
Packed with antioxidants blueberries are the perfect brain boosting fruit. Low in sugars, rich in fibre too they help protect the body from oxidative stress. Keep the sugar low in these muffins using a combination of stewed apple and xylitol.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a muffin tin or line with paper cases.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor and mix to combine. Beat together the softened oil or spread with the coconut milk, vanilla and apple. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and beat to form a thick smooth batter. Stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases then sprinkle the tops with a little flaked coconut.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Allow the muffins to rest in the muffin tin to cool before removing.
- Best eaten on the day they are made. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Did You Know?
Swap the blueberries for chopped or grated apple or raspberries. Use a jar of stewed apple or baby apple puree for speed.
250g gluten free self raising flour
30g desiccated coconut
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
200ml coconut milk
75g coconut oil, softened or dairy free spread
2tsp vanilla extract
100g stewed apple
120g fresh blueberries
Flaked coconut to top the muffins