Fancy making your own chocolate peanut bars? These are a fabulous gluten free and vegan treat and can be stored in the freezer meaning you can make a batch without having to eat them in one go. You could substitute the peanut butter for a seed or other nut butter if wished.
Makes around 18 bars
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What’s Good About These?
These mini twix style bars are perfect for a sweet treat – gluten free and vegan with the addition of coconut flour and ground almonds in the base. You can use a low sugar liquid sweetener if wished instead of maple syrup to reduce the sugar content.
- Grease and line a 20cm square traybake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4
- Make the coconut base. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until the mixture comes together. It should be soft but not too wet.
- Turn out into the tin and press down firmly. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until just lightly golden.
- Allow to cool while you make the filling.
- To make the peanut filling place all the ingredients in a saucepan and gently heat to melt the coconut oil. Stir well.
- Pour the filling over the base and smooth the top.
- Place the tin in the freeze and freeze until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for about 5 minutes. Using a hot serrated knife cut into small bars.
- Melt the chocolate and oil in a pan. Pour into a narrow container – jug or cup would work well.
- Stick a cocktail stick into each bar at the base and use this to then dip each bar in the chocolate. Place on a lined sheet. Repeat with all the bars.
- Place the tray in the freezer for the bars to set.
- Store in the freezer or fridge until required.
Did You Know?
You can substitute the peanut butter for other nut butters or seed butters. If you want more texture in the bars fold in a few chopped peanuts.
120g ground almonds
50g coconut flour
70g coconut oil, melted
2tbsp maple syrup, sweet freedom or other liquid sweetener
Pinch of salt
250g smooth or crunchy peanut butter
60g coconut oil
60g maple syrup
1tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
200g chocolate chips
1tbsp coconut oil