A brilliant way to cook Dhal without having to stir the pan all the time. You could bake some potatoes at the same time and serve the Dhal spooned over jacket potatoes. Alternatively serve with naan bread and salad or rice. Instead of baking it in the oven you can also cook this in a pan.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Storage: This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also portion this into containers and freeze.
What’s Good About It?
A brilliant budget recipe, high in protein and super easy to make. Serve with salad, rice or naan bread.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4.
- Place everything (except the spinach) in a large baking dish and stir well.
- Cover tightly with foil transfer to the oven and cook for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the foil. Stir through the spinach to wilt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with naan bread or rice and salad. Also delicious over baked potatoes.
Nutrition per serving: 245kcal, Total Fat 9g of which saturates 7g, Carbohydrates 27.3g of which sugars 9g, Protein 10.9g
140g red split lentils
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 x 400g can coconut milk
50g desiccated coconut (optional)
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
200ml boiling water
1 garlic clove chopped
1 onion, halved and sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1tbsp olive oil
100g baby spinach leaves
2tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper to serve