It’s baking time!!! My children have been requesting a gingerbread pudding with caramel sauce – so this is my healthy, paleo version. One of my favourite recipes at the moment – it is so so good and really easy to make. Serve it warm with my low carb caramel sauce drizzled over. I baked this in a 20cm shallow cake tin but you could pour the batter into individual moulds or ramekins too. I like to cut out a circle once it is cooked to serve with the caramel sauce but you could also simply cut into slices if preferred. Here’s the video showing how to make it
Difficulty – Easy
Time -30 minutes cooking
What’s good about it?
Coconut flour is fabulous paleo flour – high in fibre, protein, and healthy fats and is free from wheat and other grains. It is also low in sugar, digestible carbohydrate and calories, and has a low glycemic index.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm shallow baking tin or grease individual moulds or ramekins.
- Place the dry ingredients in the food processor and mix briefly.
- Add the eggs and egg whites, date puree, coconut cream, coconut oil or butter and vanilla and blend to form a smooth, thick batter. If the mixture is too firm add a little more coconut cream.
- Pour into a lined baking tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cut into slices or cut out circles with a metal ring. Place on plates and pour over the caramel sauce to serve.
Making your own date paste is a great way to naturally sweeten recipes – simply soak pitted dates in warm water for 15 minutes then drain reserving the soaking liquid. Place the dates with a little soaking liquid in a blender or nutri bullet and blend until smooth.
100g coconut flour
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 eggs and 2 egg whites
180g soft pitted dates (soak in warm water then blend with a little water to form a thick paste)
100g coconut oil or butter
1/2 cup coconut cream (from the top of a 400g can of full fat coconut milk)
1tsp vanilla extract