This is a delicious moist gluten free vegan cake. To keep the sugar content down I have used apple puree with a little xylitol. Perfect served with coconut yogurt as a tasty dessert.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 45 minute cooking time
Serves – 8
What’s good about it?
Pears are a great source of soluble fibre including pectin plus vitamin C to support immune health. Other fruit could also be used in this recipe – plums, halved and stoned would be a great alternative.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4
- Grease and line an springform 18cm cake tin
- Simply place all the ingredients (except the pear) in a food processor or large bowl and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the top
- Thinly slice the pear quarters and arrange on top of the cake
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until cooked through. If it begins to brown too much place a piece of foil over the top of the cake during cooking.
Did You Know?
Using olive oil combined with the apple puree makes an ideal egg replacer when making vegan breads and cakes. I often use baby pouches of apple puree for ease.
200ml almond milk
Juice of ½ lemon
115g applesauce (use baby pouches of apple puree)
1tbsp blackstrap molasses, optional
50g olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g gluten free self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Canned pear quarters (in juice, drained)