Rice paper rolls are a perfect allergy free finger food and ideal for children. You can vary the filling ingredients according to tastes. Make them vegan by replacing the prawns with smoked tofu.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
What’s Good About It?
A delicious low carb snack or light meal. Choose a selection of colourful vegetables with your choice of protein to make these balanced.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Using a vegetable peeler slice the cucumber and carrot into ribbons. Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Season to taste.
- Place one sheet of rice paper in a shallow bowl of warm water until just softened. Lift the sheet carefully from the water placing it on a tea towel covered board. Place a little of the carrot and cucumber in the centre. Top with a little of the remaining filling ingredients. Fold the corner point nearest you up over filling folding in the sides after the first complete turn of roll.
- Repeat with the remaining rice paper sheets and filling ingredients.
- Serve with the dipping sauce
Did You Know?
These rice paper rolls can be made ahead and stored in the fridge until needed. Cooked chicken, slices of smoked tofu would be great alternatives to the cooked prawns.
1 small carrot
100g soft lettuce shredded
125g cooked prawns, roughly chopped
handful of mint leaves, chopped
8 rice paper sheets
1 tbsp xylitol or maple syrup
2 tbsp lime juice
2tsp fish sauce
1tbsp tamari – gluten free soy sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
pinch of chilli flakes, optional