Lightly spiced and wonderfully moist this gluten free bread is perfect as a tea time treat spread with butter or nut butter.
Makes 1 x 2lb loaf / 10-12 slices
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Pumpkin is packed with antioxidants particularly carotenoids known for their immune modulating benefits. They are also a great source of soluble fibre to support healthy microbiome.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- In a food processor blend together the pumpkin, butter or dairy free spread, sugar until creamy.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder with the xanthum gum, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- Beat the eggs with the milk in a jug.
- Gradually add the flour alternating with the eggs to the food processor and beat to form a smooth batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. If it starts to brown too early on top just cover the tin with foil.
- Cool in the tin then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice and Serve.
Did You Know?
You could add some raisins or chocolate chips to the batter before cooking if wished.
200g butter or dairy free spread
150g coconut sugar or soft brown sugar
300g pumpkin puree
75g milk or dairy free milk
270g Gluten free self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
½ tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
50g chocolate chips