A simple light zesty cake that is perfect as a tea time treat or served with yogurt as a dessert. Another great idea for using up courgettes. You can freeze this cake for up to one month. I made a few little cakes but you can simply bake it in a 450g Loaf tin.
Makes 1 x 450g loaf cake
What’s Good About It?
The sugar content has been reduced in this recipe but for a lower carb option use xylitol or erythritol instead.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6. Grease and line a 450g Loaf tin.
- In a food processor blend together the dairy free spread and sugar or xylitol until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the courgette and blend until smooth.
- Add the courgette and briefly process to combine – keep a little texture.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the top
- Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tin. While still warm mix together the lemon and lime juice and sugar and pour over the cake.
- Cool completely before removing.
- Slice to serve.
Did You Know?
For a slightly sweeter option why not replace the lime and lemon for orange.
150g dairy free spread
100g caster sugar or xylitol
3 eggs, beaten
200g Gluten free self raising flour
100g courgette grated
Zest of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lemon
2tbsp each of lemon and lime juice
2tbsp caster sugar or xylitol