A fabulous traybake – gluten free and vegan and deliciously moist. The addition of light olive oil keeps the cake soft and moist and prevents it drying out during cooking. Top with a low sugar cream cheese frosting for an indulgent tasting treat. I have used xylitol in the cake to keep the sugar down but you can replace this with regular sugar or coconut sugar for a richer taste.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
What’s Good About It?
Using light olive oil is a great way to keep gluten free cakes lovely and moist while including plenty of monounsaturated fats.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Grease a line a traybake tin or 20cm square tin.
- Finely grate the carrots – I used the grater attachment of the food processor
- Place the sugar or xylitol in the food processor with the dairy free milk and olive oil. Beat well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat the mixture until smooth.
- Add the carrots and vanilla extract and briefly mix – you want a little texture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Cool completely then remove and place on a wire rack.
- Beat together the cream cheese and maple syrup
- Spread over the top of the cake and decorate with chopped ginger or nuts / orange zest.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days
Did You Know?
You could add some raisins or chopped walnuts to the cake batter if wished.
150g carrots grated
180ml soy or coconut milk
120ml Light Olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
250g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp Vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
2tbsp maple syrup
300g vegan cream cheese
To decorate – crystallised ginger chopped, orange zest or chopped nuts