This is one of my favourite gluten free breads and it is really simple to make. With gluten free breads there is no kneading required making it simple to prepare. The dough also makes a great pizza base too. You can top it with olives, tomatoes or sauteed onions. Perfect with soup or a warming stew.
- You can either make this in a bowl or food processor.
- Place the yeast in a jug with the warm milk or milk alternative and sugar. Leave to go frothy for 5 minutes.
- Place the flour and xanthum in a bowl or food processor and mix briefly.
- Tip in the milk yeast mixture with the remaining ingredients and beat well to form a stiff batter
- Spoon into a greased 9 inch square tin. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5
- Scatter your toppings over the dough pressing the tomatoes in slightly. Add a few rosemary leaves and then drizzle over a little olive oil. Sprinkle over a little sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until golden and cooked through
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out and cool on a wire rack. Delicious warm or cold
Did You Know?
Gluten free bread is best eaten on the day it is prepared. However you can cut this into wedges and freeze the bread for up to 1 month.
Makes 1 x 9 inch bread
7g of fast-action dried yeast – 1 sachet
1tbsp caster sugar
200ml milk or dairy free milk
250g Doves Farm gluten-free bread flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp white wine vinegar
Toppings – olives, rosemary, cherry tomatoes etc