A simple way to create flavoursome shredded chicken using just a handful of ingredients. Serve over rice or add to tacos, tortilla wraps or spoon over baked potatoes. You can make this in an instant pot or in a casserole dish over the hob.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: pressure cook 12 minutes or 30 minutes on the hob
Storage: This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also portion this into containers and freeze.
Variations. You can use frozen chicken breasts instead of fresh (they will need either defrosting first). Add vegetables to the pot at the same time to bulk it up e.g., chopped onion, garlic, canned sweetcorn, can kidney beans. You might need to add a little chicken stock over the vegetables.
What’s Good About It?
An easy high protein dish that requires minimum effort or cooking especially if using pressure cooker. Serve with salad, over potatoes or rice. You can serve this cold as a sandwich filler too.
- Add a little oil (2tsp) to your instant pot or casserole dish and pour the salsa into the pot.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the salsa and season with salt and pepper (just sprinkle lightly) and add the taco seasoning.
- Stir to coat the chicken in seasoning and salsa.
- If using a pressure cooker / instant pot. Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and select Pressure Cook for 10-15 minutes. The exact cook time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts and if they are fresh or frozen. When the cook time is up, turn the Instant Pot off and allow the pressure to release naturally before opening the valve and removing the lid.
- If cooking on the hob, simply bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Place on the lid and cook over a low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the sauce and transfer to a plate. Shred using two forks. Place in a bowl and pour over the sauce.
- Serve with rice, tacos, or baked potatoes. Accompany with vegetables or salad.
Nutrition per serving: 143kcal, Total Fat 4g of which saturates 0.9g, Carbohydrates 2.7g of which sugars 2.7g, Protein 23.5g
Did You Know?
You could bulk this up with extra vegetables or even adding a can of kidney beans for additional protein and fibre.
2tsp olive oil
1 jar (300g) tomato salsa (mild or hot depending on taste)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp taco seasoning
Little salt and pepper