This is a wonderful recipe for adults and children. You can use thighs, drumsticks, wings or chicken breasts. The key is to use really good quality chicken – we’re loving the meat from Green Pasture Farms who supply a range of grass fed meats. My kids love this recipe – we often make up a big batch and use the leftovers for lunch the next day. Make your own tomato ketchup or choose a low sugar organic shop version.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 30 minutes cooking
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
A great family friendly recipe. Chicken is a great protein source and good source of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan can be converted by the body into serotonin which boosts your mood. Chicken also provides plenty of selenium useful for supporting immune health and thyroid function
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large roasting tin. Whisk all the sauce ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the chicken. Toss together and make sure the chicken is coated and in one layer in the tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes – check to see if it is done – pierce with a knife – it should be hot in the middle and no pinkness.
- Serve with salad or vegetable skewers and sweet potato wedges
Did you Know?
The marinade is equally delicious for lean red meat and fish. To save time you can place the chicken in freezer proof bags and toss in the marinade ingredients then freeze for use at a later date. Alternatively place in the fridge overnight to really maximise the flavours.
- Serves 4
- 5tbsp tomato ketchup – see recipe or check ingredients on shop bought ketchup
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3tbsp tamari soy sauce (gluten free)
- 2tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1tbsp maple syrup (FODMAP safe) or xylitol
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 400-500g free range chicken – use drumsticks, thighs, wings or breasts