Sweet, Sour and lightly spiced I love Tom Yum Soup. This lighter version of a classic Thai dish is made using tofu, mushrooms, pak choy and courgette noodles.
What’s Good About It?
Tofu is a great vegan source of protein and contains plant compounds known as isoflavones. These function as phytoestrogens meaning that they can attach to and activate estrogen receptors in your body. Many of the health benefits of tofu — including reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease — are attributed to its high isoflavone content.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Trim the lemongrass stalks, and discard. Use the back of your knife to bash each stalk (this helps release the oils). Cut each stalk into half.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the lemongrass and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add the ginger, onion, garlic and chillies and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, tom yum paste and lime leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Meanwhile make the courgette noodles either using a sprialiser or a swivel peeler to make long strips. Set aside.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk, tofu, mushrooms, sugar snap peas and pak choy to the pan and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce if using, sugar and courgettes and heat through.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with coriander leaves.
Did You Know?
Vary the vegetables according to what is available. Baby sweetcorn would be a nice addition. Instead of tofu for a non vegan option add some cooked prawns.
2 stalks lemongrass
1tsp chopped ginger
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
800ml vegetable stock
2 red chilis, deseeded and chopped
4 Keffir lime leaves optional
2tsp Tom yum paste
400g firm tofu, dried then cut into small cubes
125g sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 pak choy, cut into large pieces
100g sugar snap peas or mangetout
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
Juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1tsp vegan fish sauce, optional
1tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
200ml canned coconut milk
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped