This is a light vegan chocolate cake perfect served with coconut yogurt and berries. Using gluten free flour keeps this gluten free and the addition of olive oil and apple means the cake is wonderfully moist. I have used flaxseed to help bind the mixture with the stewed apple. You could use chia seeds instead of flaxseed if you prefer.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 20 minutes preparation, 45 minutes cooking
Makes 1 cake / Serves 12
What’s good about it?
Using xylitol helps keep the sugar content low in this cake. Olive oil is a useful source of monounsaturated fats known for their heart healthy benefits.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm / 8-inch spring form cake tin.
- Soak the flaxseed in a little bowl with the water. Leave for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor place the flour, nuts, xylitol, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Process together until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the flaxseed and water mix and blend to form a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into the cake tin and smooth the surface. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until cooked through and firm to touch. Insert a cocktail stick into the centre and if it is cooked it should come out clean. To stop the top from browning too much cover the cake half way through with foil.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes then remove from the tin and place on a cooling rack. Top with berries and serve with yogurt if wished.
Did You Know?
Soaking flaxseed in water forms a ‘gel’ like substance which can act as an egg replacer in recipes. Flaxseed is also a good source of plant based omega 3 fatty acids important for brain health.
2tbsp ground Flaxseed
180g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
30g Pistachio nuts or almonds
30g Cocoa Powder
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
185ml Dairy free milk (e.g almond milk)
2tsp Vanilla Extract
100ml Light Olive Oil
50g Apple puree
1tbsp lemon juice or Apple Cider Vinegar