A fabulous make ahead dessert – rich and creamy with minimum effort. This version uses a gluten free and vegan sponge layered with chocolate, coffee and vegan cream.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What’s Good About It?
A wonderful make ahead dessert ideal for entertaining friends and family. You can make this lighter by switching the cream to thick vegan yogurt instead.
- For this dessert you will need 4 glasses. Alternatively you could make this in a small rectangular dish and then cut to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 8inch / 20 cm square cake tin.
- Place all the ingredients for the sponge in a food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and smooth the surface. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool.
- Make the chocolate coffee filling. Place the chocolate in a small pan with the coconut oil and melt over a low heat. Stir in the milk and coffee and beat well. Pour into a jug to cool.
- Whisk the cream in a bowl until it starts to stiffen. Add the icing sugar and cream cheese and briefly whisk again to form soft peaks.
- Using a cookie cutter that is the size of the diameter of your glass cut out circles of cake. You will need 2 circles of cake for each glass.
- Place the coffee liquid with the sugar in a shallow dish. Dip the cake slices into the coffee liquid. Place one cake circle in the base of each glass.
- Pour over a little of the chocolate and then top with the cream. Repeat the layers finishing with the cream
- Dust a little cocoa powder over the top. Chill before serving.
Did You Know?
Want a lighter higher protein dish? Replace the cream filling for thick vegan yogurt. Place the vegan yogurt in a small bowl and beat in a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Then use this to replace the cream layers.
120g gluten free plain flour
75g xylitol or caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
zest of 1 lemon, optional
1tsp lemon juice
30ml olive oil
150ml soy milk or coconut milk
Coffee liquid for dipping
100ml prepared warm coffee
2tsp caster sugar
100g vegan chocolate chopped (or use chocolate chips)
2tsp coconut oil
2tbsp cool coffee
3tbsp soy milk or coconut milk
Vegan Cream layer
200ml vegan cream
100g vegan cheese
2tbsp icing sugar