This is a fabulous festive recipe even if you’re not a fan of Brussels Sprouts. If you have a food processor take the hard work out of this and use your shredding attachment to get really thin pieces of sprouts. If you wanted you could actually serve this salad raw but I like to warm through the vegetables and serve it with a tangy raspberry vinegar dressing. You can get raspberry vinegar in most supermarkets but red wine vinegar is equally delicious.
Difficulty – Easy
Time – 10 minutes preparation and 3 minutes cooking
Serves – 4
What’s good about it?
Brussels are such a healthy vegetable and shredding them is a great alternative to simply steaming them whole. They are part of the cruciferous family which includes cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower and like these vegetables they are a great source of vitamin K which is important for bone health as well as plenty of vitamin C and antioxidants to support immune health.
- To make the dressing simply whisk all the ingredients together. I simply put all the ingredients in a glass jar and shake well.
- Use your shredding attachment on your food processor and shred the Brussels Sprouts finely. Place in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or wok and saute the red onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and stir for 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Throw in the remaining ingredients including the dressing and stir to warm through.
- Serve warm or leave to cool.
Did you Know?
Brussels Sprouts are part of the cruciferous family and packed with glucosinolates known for their cancer protective benefits. At a minimum, try and include cruciferous vegetables as part of your diet 2-3 times per week, and make the serving size at least 1-1/2 cups. Even better enjoy Brussels sprouts and other vegetables from the cruciferous vegetable group 4-5 times per week and increase your serving size to 2 cups.
1tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
300g Brussels Sprouts, shredded
60g pomegranate seeds
Handful of baby spinach leaves
30g walnut halves
3tbsp raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
6tbsp olive oil
1tsp Dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper